1800-1900

    In the 19th century, gravestones became more diverse. The Victorian Era (1837-1901) inspired elaborate decorations such as sculptures, artwork, and symbols. Cemeteries began to resemble parks.

    During this century, the North Burial Ground underwent many changes. In 1817, the General Assembly passed a decree to protect graves, because medical students often stole corpses for experimentation. In 1832, the city established the North Burial Ground Commission to organize the cemetery. Before this, about 60,000 graves had been randomly scattered throughout the property. In 1845, commissioners planned out roads, walkways, pricing, regulations, and established a fund for maintenance and improvements. A marble staircase, an office, and an enlarged greenhouse were built. The city of Providence also purchased more land for the burial ground.